Stickies
« custom location for data and configuration files »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 3:17pm


Click to go to the
Zhorn Software Web Site
Click to go to the
Knowledgebase

« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
 hotthread  Author  Topic: custom location for data and configuration files  (Read 2286 times)
leopoldus
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 96
xx Re: custom location for data and configuration fil
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21st, 2016, 12:31am »

One more question. Is there any option to store skins files in the user defined specific folder, not directly in the Stickies work folder?

Such option is especially useful when a user has several portable instances, but all they could share the same skins set.

Thanks!
User IP Logged

leopoldus
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 96
xx Re: custom location for data and configuration fil
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21st, 2016, 04:42am »

on Mar 20th, 2016, 5:04pm, Tom Revell wrote:
You can backup/restore all data at once from one machine to another. If you just want some notes, perform a backup from the source machine, and then use SSIT on the destination machine to get just some of them onto it.

I have tried this solution now. Well, it does work. However it was not very convenient for me.

Could you please consider adding an option to export / backup the single or several selected notes in order to import/restore them on the target machine? May be you could use Notes Manager window or/and via a command in a note context menu?

Many thanks in advance!
User IP Logged

Tom Revell
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3567
xx Re: custom location for data and configuration fil
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21st, 2016, 3:02pm »

You can put ssk files anywhere you like on your computer.

The skin choose dialog will look in a number of places, including the place that the exe was found, the data directory, as well as the "stickies" subdirectories on each of those places.

Tom
User IP Logged

leopoldus
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 96
xx Re: custom location for data and configuration fil
« Reply #18 on: Dec 5th, 2016, 5:42pm »

I've got now two stupid questions more:

1) Is it possible to run multiple instances of Stickies at the same time. Now while Stickies app is running and I try to start the second stickies.exe from another location, it simply activates the running process. But may be there is some secret command line key, like in Firefox and many other apps?

2) Is it possible to switch between multiple databases (notes sets) during the same session?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2016, 5:47pm by leopoldus » User IP Logged

Tom Revell
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3567
xx Re: custom location for data and configuration fil
« Reply #19 on: Dec 6th, 2016, 2:55pm »

No, and no!

Stickies ensures that only one instance can be run at once, as that's more helpful than allowing two instances, along with the error messages and data problems that would cause. There isn't a command line switch to override this, as it's never been necessary.

You could probably do it now by running a second instance of the app as a second user. The way which Stickies ensures there's only one probably only extends per user. Not sure, try it if you want to.

As for switching between data sets in one session - no, you can't do that either. The nearest the app gets is to perform a restore. Strictly speaking you could use the API to perform a back to a folder, then a restore from a second folder, and that would achieve what you're looking for, but it's dangerous!

instead, I'd either have the exe alongside two sets of data, and switch between them programmatically, or have one exe, two folders of data, and use the registry key to swap. You could instruct Stickies to close, alter the registry and then launch Stickies again. That's a safer way of doing the same thing.

Tom
User IP Logged

leopoldus
Full Member
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 96
xx Re: custom location for data and configuration fil
« Reply #20 on: Dec 7th, 2016, 7:07pm »

on Dec 6th, 2016, 2:55pm, Tom Revell wrote:
Stickies ensures that only one instance can be run at once, as that's more helpful than allowing two instances, along with the error messages and data problems that would cause. There isn't a command line switch to override this, as it's never been necessary.

Thank you, Tom. I see your approach and agree, that it is rather reasonable.

Quote:
You could probably do it now by running a second instance of the app as a second user. The way which Stickies ensures there's only one probably only extends per user. Not sure, try it if you want to.

Oh, no. Even if it will work (have not tried yet) it would not grant the simultaneous using of different data sets, what is my aim. Switching between different user accounts in Windows is not as fluent as one could wish.

Quote:
As for switching between data sets in one session - no, you can't do that either. The nearest the app gets is to perform a restore. Strictly speaking you could use the API to perform a back to a folder, then a restore from a second folder, and that would achieve what you're looking for, but it's dangerous!

Yes, I see this way, but agree with your opinion, that such games are too dangerous and can cause losing of data.

Quote:
instead, I'd either have the exe alongside two sets of data, and switch between them programmatically, or have one exe, two folders of data, and use the registry key to swap. You could instruct Stickies to close, alter the registry and then launch Stickies again. That's a safer way of doing the same thing.

It is really a very nice idea and I'll surely try this work-around. Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016, 7:08pm by leopoldus » User IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!


This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls